India being a tropical country, experiences a hot and humid temperature most of the time during a year. Therefore the need for a refrigerator is immense in such a country. Not just for food storage but also for storing certain costly cosmetics, which tend to get damaged at high temperatures, can be stored in the refrigerator.
Owning a refrigerator in a country like India is not a luxury but also a need. Having a glass of chilled water on a hot summer afternoon might be categorized as a luxury. But storing expensive medicines, whose compositions might get affected, at high temperatures is none other than a dire need. Thus we can not deny the fact that owning a refrigerator is essential in a tropical country like India.
Before we go out to buy the refrigerator which suits all our needs, we must do our part of the home-work and chalk down why we want to buy it in the very first place. Depending on our needs, we can easily categorize and decide which refrigerator will be best for us. We are here to make your work much easier. Here, we are providing you with a list of the Top 10 best refrigerator in India and their features in a very concise fashion for your ready reference. So, let us have a look at them below:
Top 10 Best Single/Double Door Refrigerator In India-Reviews
1. Whirlpool 190 L 2 Star Direct-Cool Single Door Refrigerator (WDE 205 CLS 2S, Blue)
Whirlpool is a very famous name in the market of electrical appliances in India. A whirlpool appliance is a common sight in every Indian household. Thus it is quite common this brand manufactures a few of the best Refrigerator in India.
Whirlpool Direct-cool single door refrigerator is one of the most delectable fridges in India. It has an automatic inverter connection technology. It has a built-in stabilizer, which nullifies the need to install an external stabilizer to overcome the voltage fluctuation issues. This refrigerator works noiselessly and maintains the calm of your house.
It is equipped with jumbo bottle holders, which can easily hold 2 L bottles. There is ample space for all vegetables. Meats and fish can also be stored with equal ease. It also ensures excellent savings on power consumption.
This whirlpool refrigerator is one of the best refrigerator choices in India. A removable anti-bacterial rubber gasket takes care of all the health issues and keeps you fit and strong. It is highly spacious with wire shelves to better storage. A sleek and trendy design makes this fridge an automatic choice for every household.
2. Samsung 253 L 1 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator(RT28M3022S8, Elegant Inox, Inverter Compressor)
Samsung refrigerators are primarily known for their digital inverter compressor. These compressors are highly efficient and make no or very little noise while functioning. They also save energy and thus are eco-friendly.
This fridge has an in-built mechanism to control the moisture or humidity content inside the compartments. This moist free environment keeps the vegetables from turning soggy. The side brackets contain tough shelves for holding big water bottles.
Moreover, the shelves are made up of tough glass to last longer. The easily sliding shelves make storing food a lot easier. They can hold up to a weight of 150kgs. The ice-maker chamber can be moved to any place in the fridge, thereby allowing full utilization of the inner space. The honeycomb structure of the vegetable box helps to keep the vegetables fresh.
This Samsung frost free double door fridge is ideal for medium-sized families. A highly- efficient LED light makes it easier to use the fridge even at night. The ergonomic styling and sleek recess handle make this fridge stand out amongst the other Best refrigerator in India.
3. LG 260 L 3 Star Smart Inverter Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator (GL-I292RPZL, Shiny Steel, With Ice Beam Door Cooling)
LG brand is known in the market of electrical gadgets for its innovative, smart technologies. This refrigerator is no exception. This refrigerator is so advanced that it can send an emergency message to your smartphone in case of any mishap.
Considering the importance of artificial intelligence these days, this fridge is just the right choice for your home. With an extremely elegant and sleek design, it is bound to attract the attention of your guests.
This, LG 260 L 3 Star Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator has an innovative lattice-pattern box that helps to check the moisture content inside the fridge, thereby keeping the vegetables and fruits fresh and healthy.
The LG frost-free refrigerator has ample space to store enough vegetables, fruits as well as the left-over food items. The sturdy door brackets can accommodate 2L water bottles very easily.
This fridge has made into the list of the best refrigerator in India with its smart compressor design and auto-connect inverter technology. The strategic positioning of the vents circulates cool air throughout the fridge uniformly. It also saves a lot of electricity and is an eco-friendly choice for your home.
4. Haier 170 L 2 Star Direct-Cool Single Door Refrigerator (HED-17TMS, Moon Silver)
The highlighting feature of this refrigerator is its diamond cooling technology. This aids in supercooling. Ice formation is way better with this technology. It also retains the temperature inside the fridge compartment for 2 to 6 hours, in case of a power cut.
The Haier direct-cool, single-door refrigerator adds to the aesthetic beauty of your house with its sleek model and a large variety of colors. The spacious vegetable box is designed in such a way that it allows airflow and keeps moisture away, thereby keeping the vegetables fresh.
However, defrosting is not a cumbersome job anymore with your new Haier Refrigerator. There is a single button dedicated to this purpose. On pressing the defrost button in the freezer compartment, all the ice gets melted easily.
It is equipped with sturdy wire shelves that are extremely durable and are not perishable like glass shelves. It also takes into account the problem of voltage fluctuation, and there is a built-in stabilizer that allows the refrigerator to work at a voltage as low as 135v.
This refrigerator has secured a high position in the list of the best refrigerator in India with its stunning features, spacious compartment, and sleek outlook. It is also very economical and saves energy. The added advantage of this refrigerator is that it contains PUF insulation that helps to maintain low temperatures, very efficiently.
5. Whirlpool 190 L 3 Star Direct-Cool Single Door Refrigerator (WDE 205 CLS PLUS 3S, Wine Fiesta, Toughened Glass Shelves)
This refrigerator is a combination of high-quality performance with optimum energy savings. This is one of the best refrigerator in India because it can cater to all the needs of a semi-large Indian family.
The designed front door gives this refrigerator an unmatched trendy look amongst its other competitors. It is also very durable and saves a lot of energy.
The sturdy bottle rack can accommodate up to three 2L bottles seamlessly. The toughened glass shelves give it an extremely sophisticated look even from the inside. These shelves are capable of storing large and heavy utensils with ease.
This whirlpool refrigerator is rated 3-star by BEE, and thus it helps you save a substantial amount on your electricity bills. The easy defrost button gives you a hassle-free experience.
Offering a warranty of 1 year on the refrigerator and a total of 10 years on the compressor, this fridge is one of the best in this price range. The quick chill zone helps you cool things in a jiffy and also saves on a lot of space in the freezer region.
6. Haier 320 L 2 Star Inverter Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator (HRB-3404BMS-E, Moon Silver,Bottom Freezer)
This Haier double door refrigerator has two separate chambers, and thus, no chances of odor mixing are there. The bottom-mounted freezer gives this refrigerator a very modern and stunning look. It adds to the aesthetic beauty of your kitchen.
Remember those house parties, where you need a lot of ice and that too within a very short time. The Haier Double-door refrigerator is just the right choice for such situations. It has wonderful Hour-icing technology that forms ice within an hour. Besides forming ice, it also cools the items very fast.
The Twin inverter technology makes this Haier 320 L 2 Star Inverter Frost-Free Double Door refrigerator one of the best refrigerator in India. This feature permits the compressor and the fan of the refrigerator to work at different speeds, according to the requirement. This saves a lot of energy and cost.
The vegetable box in this refrigerator is twice as big as other fridges and has a moisture lock mechanism to keep the vegetables fresh and crisp. The toughened glass shelves allow light to pass through, thereby not make the inside of the fridge dark. They can also hold food items and utensils of heavy-weight, without faltering.
The Stabilizer-free technology, PUF insulation, and eco-friendly design make this refrigerator an unbeatable competition. Bright LED illumination lights up the inside of the fridge, and you would not even need to switch on the room lights for taking out or putting in any items in the fridge.
7. Samsung 212 L 3 Star ( 2019 ) Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator(RR22M272ZS8, Elegant Inox, Inverter Compressor)
In today’s world, the consumption of electricity is a major issue in every household. In such tough times, Samsung comes up with a solar-compatible refrigerator for your house. It harvests the energy from the sun during the morning and utilizes that energy to run the fridge when the power connection is cut off.
The separate super-free zone helps you store up your favorite frozen foods for a long time without any worry. It also has the feature of forming ice very fast. The bottle holder on the side bracket of the fridge has a safe-guard so that the bottles do not fall off while opening the fridge door.
The vegetable box is provided with a separate cover to keep the vegetables and fruits fresh. The toughened glass shelves are made in such a way that they can withstand loads up to 150kgs.
This Samsung single-door fridge is very economical and saves a lot on your electricity bills. It also takes the utmost care of your health. It is provided with an anti-bacterial gasket to prevent the leakage of air from the inside. It is also provided with a locking system.
Every other fridge we come across does not have a safety locking facility. But this Samsung refrigerator also has a key-hole on the door lock and thus helps to keep your food safe. This refrigerator, with all its stunning features, is one of the best refrigerator in India.
8. Haier 258 L 3 Star ( 2019 ) Frost Free Double Door Refrigerator(HEF-25TDS, Dazzle Steel/Brushline silver, Convertible)
This double-door refrigerator from the house of Haier is rated 3-star by BEE. It saves a lot of energy and electricity. Twin energy-saving modes help you save 15% energy on the first go and up to 30% energy on the second go. Thus with this refrigerator, you can save more than the other refrigerators of this category.
The swift convertible feature makes this refrigerator one of the best refrigerator in India. This feature allows you to convert the freezer compartment into the freeze and vice-versa within almost 50 mins. Thus this allows you to customize the space according to your needs.
The turbo ice technology helps to form ice very fast. It accelerates the time required to freeze items and thereby saves a lot of your time. It can freeze ice in just a matter of 49 mins, which is 200% faster than any of its competitors.
Moreover, the ice tray can be shifted from one place to another, thereby allowing more space for accommodating other stuff according to your needs.
The Haier double-door refrigerator has an elegant look imparted by the PCM door finish and fits perfectly in every modern kitchen. The glossy surface of the door can be easily cleaned by swiping a cloth over it. Therefore it saves you a lot of cleaning time as well. Equipped with a door-lock, it is undoubtedly the best choice for your kitchen.
9. LG 235 L 4 Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door Refrigerator (GL-D241APGY, Purple Glow, Base stand with drawer)
LG is a famous name in the market for refrigerators. They are known for their compatible solar refrigerators. This single-door, direct-cool refrigerator is no exception.
This refrigerator was awarded a 5-star BEE rating and thus is an economical choice for your kitchen. It saves a lot on your electricity usage amount. It is designed to work in a voltage range of 90 – 130 volts. This wide voltage range makes it compatible to work even without a stabilizer.
The smart inverter compressor works noiselessly without disturbing the peace of your house. The smart connect option connects your fridge to the inverter of your house. Thus you need not worry about the spoilage of food during power cuts.
This LG 235 L 4 Star Inverter Direct Cool Single Door refrigerator is amongst the best refrigerator in India because it is equipped with a base stand drawer. This drawer enables you to store excess vegetables like onion, potatoes, e.t.c. A special lattice-type box checks the moisture content inside the fridge and thereby keeps the vegetables and fruits fresh.
Although this LG refrigerator is single-door yet it competes with equal efficiency with its contemporaries. The aesthetic design makes this model stand out in the crowd. It is extremely user-friendly and easy to clean. Anti-bacterial gasket keeps the fungal organisms away from the fridge.
10. Whirlpool 245 L 2 Star Frost-Free Double Door Refrigerator (NEOFRESH 258LH CLS PLUS 2S, German Steel)
The whirlpool refrigerator is equipped with 6th sense deep freeze technology. This helps in the complete circular flow of air throughout the fridge. Consequently, all the food items remain fresh and healthy.
The unique anti-microbial technology keeps away all kinds of bacteria and fungi, thereby making this refrigerator a healthy choice for all your needs. The anti-bacterial gasket prevents leakage of air and keeps the temperature cool inside the refrigerator.
Moreover, this refrigerator is equipped with a scientifically developed air tower that distributes air uniformly throughout the system and keeps the overall refrigerator cool. The chilling gel technology comes very handily during power cuts. The gel reserves cool air and release it during power cuts. Thus temperature is retained for longer periods.
This refrigerator is a perfect choice for your beautiful house with its excellent color variation and trendy design. The ice twister and collector makes it easier to dispense the ice from the fridge. The water bottles are cooled 40% faster due to its air tower technology.
Buying Guide Refrigerators
The Working Principle behind Refrigerators:
A refrigerator is a heat engine. As we all know, the function of a refrigerator is to cool down the temperature inside it and thereby keep the items fresh. It does so by evaporating the refrigerant from liquid state to gaseous state.
To put it in simple words, a place is at a lower temperature if its energy content is less. The refrigerant does this job in a refrigerator. It collects all the energy from the items inside the refrigerator and delivers the heat in the form of energy into the outside region.
A very common way to understand this phenomenon is that, if one goes and stands near the back of a refrigerator, we can feel the heat that is radiated out. To understand the working of a refrigerator, we must understand the make of its components.
Main Parts of a Refrigerator:
A. The compressor:
- Just like a human body is no good without the heart; similarly, a refrigerator is practically useless without a compressor.
- It helps in circulating the refrigerant liquid throughout the system of the refrigerator.
- It puts additional pressure on the refrigerant and makes it hot.
- From the compressor, the refrigerant flows into the condenser.
- The job of a condenser is to condense.i.e. here, the vapor form of the gas, absorbed by the compressor, is converted into liquid form.
- Heat is given off as a result of this phase change from gas to liquid.
- This heat makes the condenser very hot to touch even from the outside.
- This is the component that cools all the items inside the fridge.
- The gas, after transforming into the liquid state, enters into the expansion valve of the fridge.
- The expansion valve’s function is to put a check on the quantity of the refrigerant gas that is released into the evaporator.
- Upon entering the evaporator, the refrigerant gas automatically moves forward due to the pressure created by the compressor. During moving forward, the refrigerant gas absorbs all the heat, mainly from the air inside the refrigerator
- In some of the best refrigerator of India, there is a fan that assists in blowing the air from inside the refrigerator towards the evaporator coil for fast and better absorption.
D. Expansion tube or Capillary tube:
- As mentioned above, this tube puts a check on the amount of the refrigerant gas that gets released into the evaporator.
- It behaves like an expansion device
- It is generally a copper tube of very small diameter.
- Its length is very high, but it is coiled to fit it in less space.
- It monitors the temperature for controlling the cooling process.
- It is more like a sensor
- The compressor, and the cooling process is paused if the temperature drops down under a certain range.
- Again when it senses a rise in the temperature, the compressor starts, and the cooling process restarts.
F. Defrost system:
- This process helps you to get rid of the excess, unwanted ice that is formed. This can be done both automatically as well as manually. Usually the best refrigerators in India are equipped with automated defrost systems.
- Diffuser is like a door from the freezer compartment into the normal compartment of the fridge. When the temperature in the normal compartment rises, then the diffuser unlocks the vents between the two chambers.
Thus the working process of the refrigerator can be summarized as follows:
- The cooled refrigerant is made to pass around the inner compartments of the fridge in which the food items are kept.
- The refrigerant absorbs all the heat from this area.
- The refrigerant transfers the heat absorbed into the surrounding environment, which is comparatively cooler.
Key points you should know before buying a refrigerator:
While trying to understand the working of the refrigerator, we came across a common term, an ample number of times, i.e., refrigerants.
Here we will try to make you understand what a refrigerant is and what its properties are. We will also see examples of the most common refrigerants that are used in the best refrigerators in India and factors you should ideally know before purchasing it.
What is meant by refrigerants?
There can not be any air conditioning system without a refrigerant. These are liquid or gaseous substances that can absorb the heat from the surroundings. They can condition the air around, by working in tandem with the compressor, evaporator, e.t.c.
How do refrigerants work?
In most of the cooling devices, the refrigerant is stored inside copper coils. They absorb the heat from inside the fridge, and on the absorption of the heat, they get converted from low-pressure gas to high-pressure liquid.
The refrigerant is then sent outside where the fan blows hot air into it, and it gets exhausted. It further cools down and turns into a low-pressure gas. Another fan blows cold air and distributes the cold air throughout.
Name a few common refrigerants.
The most common refrigerants that are used in the best refrigerators in India are as follows:
- Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs): they are harmful as they are the major components of greenhouse gases.
- Hydrochlorofluorocarbon(HCFCs): they are a little less harmful as compared to CFCs, and thus, they are used more than CFCs.
Components of the refrigerator from the outside
For common people understanding the intricate interior mechanisms is quite cumbersome. For them, we have listed here, the basic components of a refrigerator, as it can be seen from the outside.
- Fridge door: This forms the main portion of the fridge. It has different sections inside for storing several items such as eggs, butter, water bottles, cosmetics, medicine e.t.c
- helves:S The shelves are made for storage purposes. All the items of daily use are stored inside the fridge in these shelves.
- Freezer: This is a separate chamber that is maintained at a temperature of below zero degrees. This chamber is used for storing items like ice-cream, frozen food e.t.c
- The door gasket: This is an air-tight seal around the fridge door. It is made of rubber. It prevents the leakage of warm air from the outside into the fridge and thus helps to maintain the low temperature inside the fridge.
- Light: There is a small light inside the refrigerator that helps to operate the device even at night. The switch of the light is fixed in such a way that when the door of the refrigerator is opened, it lights up, and again as the door is closed, the connection gets interrupted, and the light goes out. This way, electricity is also saved.
- Drain pan: This is a tray that is generally found below the fridge. It collects the waste-water that is ejected out after each defrost cycle. The Defrost process melts the ice, and the water accumulated from it is collected into the drain pan and evacuated later on.
Types of refrigerators:
Depending upon the number of compartments or doors present, refrigerators are divided into a few categories. If you wish to buy one of the best Refrigerators in India, then you should have an idea about these variants of the refrigerators that are available in the market.
- Single door refrigerator: As it can be understood from the name itself that they are equipped with only a single door or a single compartment. Here the freezer box is inside the main door only. The freezer box in such kinds of refrigerators is like a separate compartment on top of the system.
It can be well understood that they have less capacity as compared to other double-door or triple-door refrigerators. So they are not fit for joint families. However, they are cheaper as compared to other refrigerators. But one will need to defrost the fridge quite often as they store the excess ice inside the freezer compartment.
- Double door Refrigerator: This type of refrigerators can be used for comparatively bigger families. These fridges have two different doors. One compartment is allotted to normal storing purposes, whereas another one in the freezer.
As the freezer is separate and has no connection with the main unit, thus the need for defrosting is also very rare in such kinds of fridges. Thus these kinds of fridges are also known as ‘Frost-free Refrigerators.’
They have a very large capacity and are extremely efficient. However, they do consume more electricity as compared to the single door refrigerators. There are two varieties of this kind of double-door refrigerator.
- Top mount freezer: Here, the freezer compartment is located on the top of the main unit.
- Bottom mount freezer: Here, the freezer compartment is located below the main system.
- Triple door refrigerator/ side by side door refrigerator: In this kind of refrigerators, there is a multi-door facility. There are more than two compartments in such kinds of refrigerators. They have extensive utility and consume higher power.
In, side by side door refrigerators, the space crunch problem is taken into account. In some of the side by side door refrigerators, there is an added advantage of a water dispensing facility. Here one can dispense water from the fridge without opening the doors of the fridge.
Different modern facilities in the refrigerator:
With the advancement in technology, new and improved features are also getting installed in refrigerators. With each passing day, new features that are more and more user friendly are getting incorporated into the modeling of refrigerators. Let us take a look at the most common facilities that have been used in modern-day refrigerators.
- Conversion technology: The Best refrigerators in India have an 80:20 ratio of the normal freeze to the freezer area. This ratio suffices the customer needs since most Indians are vegetarian, and therefore, the utility of the normal fridge is higher as compared to the freezer. However, refrigerators with a 70:30 ratio are also seen these days. In the new conversion technology, you can convert the freezer area into a normal fridge and vice-versa based upon your needs.
- Inverter technology: In normal refrigerators, the compressor works as an on and off device based upon the temperature of the cooling chambers. This method consumes a very high amount of electricity as the compressor works at a single speed. The inverter technology optimizes the load on the compressor. It allows the compressor to work at variable speeds depending upon the cooling requirements. Nearly 20 to 40 percent of electricity usage is cut down by implementing this technique.
- Power-cut saviors: Modern-day refrigerators can maintain the temperature inside the compartment for almost as long as 2 to 7 hours after a power-cut. Thus they can keep the vegetables and other items fresh even during small to medium power cut issues.
- Eco-friendly refrigerators: The most common refrigerant used in the refrigerators is CFC. CFC is an extremely harmful greenhouse gas and thus causes severe damage to the environment. As an alternative, nowadays, R134a and R600a are used.
The energy rating system in refrigerators:
Non-renewable sources of energy are on the verge of extinction these days. Thus optimizing the use of energy sources has become imperative. Most of the devices that we use in our quotidian life are run on these energy sources. We must find ways to keep our usage to the bare minimum for a green future.
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) has issued ratings for different electrical instruments based upon their electricity consumption. The electrical instruments using a minimum amount of electricity for their functioning are given a 5-star rating. This rating system starts from one star, and the highest rating is five stars.
The cost of refrigerators having a 5-star BEE rating is on the higher side. However, since they consume less electricity as compared to other refrigerators; thus, they prove to be highly economical in the long run. They save a substantial amount of the electricity charges that a household has to bear every month.
So, it is advisable to buy refrigerators by taking into consideration the BEE ratings as it will be beneficial for the customer as well the environment.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. Are single-door fridges economical than double-door fridges?
Yes, single-door fridges are less expensive than the double door fridges. Also, they consume less amount of electricity as compared to their bigger versions.
However, it depends on your needs. If you have to store a huge amount of items, then it is no use buying a small single-door fridge. Since you will be investing your hard-earned money on buying the fridge, thus it must serve the purpose; otherwise, it will be of no use.
Q2. Can refrigerators be customized for left-handed people?
The direction in which a refrigerator door opens can be customized. The hinges can be fixed on either side, depending upon the choice of the customer. Thus, it would not be a problem for left-handed people to operate a refrigerator.
In such cases, make sure to tell you about your concerned issue while you are buying the gadget. The manufacturer or seller will surely have enough options for your problem.
Q3. Do all refrigerators have automated defrost functions?
No, all refrigerators making rounds of the market are not equipped with automated defrost systems. Generally, if you need to buy a refrigerator for commercial purposes, then ask the seller for an automated defrost system because it is very inconvenient to relocate all the items inside the fridge time and again for defrosting it. These refrigerators are a little expensive, but it will be worth it.
However, if you wish to use the fridge only for domestic purposes, then you can buy the manual defrost system as well. It will save you a lot of money.
Q4. Do refrigerators require annual maintenance?
All electronic gadgets undergo wear and tear upon usage. Thus it is better to get them checked once every year for your safety.
All electronic gadgets might cause serious accidents if they are not used properly, so proper usage, along with periodic maintenance, will be ideal.
Q5. How do I decide at what temperature I should set the refrigerator?
When you buy a refrigerator, you will be given a manual with it. The easiest option to know at what temperature you must set your refrigerator is to go through the manual. Generally, the temperature of the normal fridge is kept around 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Q6. Is it advisable to change the refrigerator once it gets old?
Very old refrigerators consume 3 to 4 times more electricity as compared to the new ones. Thus it would be economical to switch to a new fridge in exchange for the old one.
Q7. Are bigger refrigerators always better?
No. There is no relevant connection between the size and efficiency of a refrigerator. You should opt for the refrigerator that satisfies all your basic needs and requirements. If you have a nuclear family and you are going to use the refrigerator only for domestic purposes, then there is no use of buying a grand fridge. It will consume more electricity as well as more space.
Q8. Should I keep all the food covered inside the refrigerator?
It is advisable to keep all food items covered inside the refrigerator. It is an unhealthy practice to keep food uncovered, be it outside or inside the freezer.
Q9. Can I keep frozen food items in the normal chamber of the refrigerator?
No, frozen food items require a temperature much lower than the temperature of the normal fridge compartment. Thus they will be spoiled if you store them in the normal fridge compartment.
Thus here is your ultimate guide in choosing the best refrigerator for your home that will not just keep the food items healthy and fresh but will also be an economical choice. Do comment in the below section if you need further details. We will be happy to help you!